Tuesday 11 May 2010

Con-dem Nation?

Today Cameron has become Prime Minister.

I'm staying optimistic but I still have one big problem with "Big Society".

I am very pro democracy. I believe that we vote for representatives to act for the good of society. I believe that they read the research, crunch the numbers and come to the best conclusions they can.

I know this is idealistic but it is what I believe.

I believe that big society goes against this. It is a return to the concept of "there is no such thing as society, only individuals and families" in disguise. It is saying people should all act in their own interest. And that to me is anti society, anti community and anti democracy.

I think Cameron's first speech was encouraging. I think Brown was dignified. But I am dispirited right now as I have no idea how this is going to work.

Interesting times. Yes. But big society? I want real society. I want real community. I want real democracy.

We'll have to wait and see if we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment